Dairy cows (also called milk cows) are bred for the ability to produce large quantities of milk, from which dairy products are made. This means feed in high calcium, phosphorus, protein and energy will both help produce high-quality milk and keep cows in good health. However, traditional feed can no longer meet the feed requirements. Feed pellet, the healthier and more nutritious feeding material, has gradually displaced traditional forage. It can be made scientifically by a formulated ration, which best suit cows’ needs when cows are producing milk. With feed pellets, dairy farmers can optimize dairy production to maintain their desired level of profitability!
Raw materials for making dairy cow feed pellets
1. Cereals: maize, barley, oat, wheat, triticale, rye and sorghum
2. Seed from oleaginous crops: soy, flax, and sunflower
3. Seed from legumes: broad beans, field bean and protein pea
4. Forage: flours of permitted forage essences
5. Dried beet pulp.
Furthermore, the following substances can be used as appetizers in feed pellets:
1. Carob-bean, up to a maximum of 3%;
2. Molasses, up to a maximum of 3%.
Note: for animals in lactation, dry animals, and heifers from the sixth month of pregnancy, maximum daily amount of feed pellets is 2 kg/head/day.
Brief production process of dairy cow feed pellets
1. Crushing: crush raw materials by feed hammer mill to get fine grinded ingredients.
2. Mixing：all of the ingredients are mixed in a feed pellet blender for a period of time to get a uniform mix. Then a moist, cohesive mash was obtained at end of the final mixing.
3. Pelletizing: after mixing, the mash was delivered to the pellet mill feeder. It is fed into the feed pellet mill and then to the roller and die extruder. (Note: flat die feed pellet mill better for home use and ring die feed pellet mill for cow feed factory.) When the mash is compacted through the die, soft, moist pellets were formed. The extruded pellets have a moisture content of 16-17%.
4. Drying: the wet pellets are dried in a feed pellet cooler to obtain moisture content below 12%.
Advantages of dairy cow feed pellets
Besides easy storage and cost less, the advantages of pelletizing also include the following aspects:
1. Quality assured: ingredients to be targeted directly at your requirements and ensure the accuracy of each ingredient time after time. (additives can be added uniformly if necessary)
2. Nutritionally balanced ration: meets the protein, energy and mineral requirements for optimum growth and feed conversion
3. High energy: rapid weight gain and efficient feed conversion
4. Low dust: reduced inhalation of dust by people and cows which makes a safer, healthier and more pleasant work place.
5. No ingredient separation: even nutrient blend received by cows
6. No further processing required: pellets are ready for consumption; no extra labor to roll or mix rations.
7. In addition, for ring die feed pellet mill there is steam processing for ingredients. Better starch utilization: up to 15% more and increased milk production per kilo of feed
Animal performance and feed efficiency benefit from good quality pellets. The better the pellet, the better the performance. Reduced waste, less segregation in the feed, improved palatability and shorter eating periods-all of these feed pellet merits are brought by feed pellet mill. Azeus is a reliable feed mill manufacturer and supplier, which is offering a wide range of feed making equipment including diesel feed equipment, electric feed machinery and ring die feed pellet mill. We also supply complete feed production line and have many successful feed mill plant project around the world. Feel free to contact us if you would like to know more about our equipment.